Friday, August 23, 2013

German History in Maryland

Just this week I was re-shelving a book at the York County Heritage Trust, when I noticed that the book was about German church records in Baltimore, Maryland. So I went to the index and found who I have been searching for over the past few years! It was just by chance that I took the time to check the index.

This morning, I spent some time researching places in the Baltimore, Maryland area where I can visit and hopefully learn more about my dad's ancestors. While on the German Marylanders' website, I skimmed the timeline and learned the following:

In 1940, Gustav Brunn, a Frankfurt Germany native developed a spice used for crabs.  He had arrived a year earlier in Baltimore from Germany.  His spice was sold many years later to McCormick.  Brunn invented 'Old Bay'. (courtesy of German Marylanders).

I suppose good old Gustav and I have something in common...he created a blend of spices that today is used widely on our favorite seafood, and I accidentally stumbled on relevant data that I considered to be a treasure into my family's past. 

P.S.  If you are interested in learning where the name 'Old Bay' came from, read more here.


2 comments:

  1. Love Old Bay! the UTZ Crab Chips I get from home in Pa. I wonder if they use OLD BAY? I'll have to write home for a bag now! Great Post on something us Easterner's love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better late than not...Try Old Bay on ears of corn and with a smear of mayonnaise. My husband learned to eat corn on the cob this way in Mexico. Let me know if you tried it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts here.