Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Slippery Slope into the Rabbit Hole

In July my application to join the Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.) was submitted. As of this post I patiently await to learn if the D.A.R. approves my application for proving a new Patriot, George Jacob Sherman. While waiting my writing and research continues, only to topple into another 'rabbit hole.' You may wonder what I mean by this.

A 'rabbit hole' is like taking a detour from a determined course of action, or research. My new 'rabbit hole' resulted from a deed search on our small piece of land where I currently live. About a year ago I discovered that the large tract of land, of which our property is a small piece of, was warranted to a Peter Shute in 1738. I had to learn more, so I proceeded to dig out old deeds. This discovery doesn't stop here.
.
In an earlier blog post of July 23, 2018 I shared the story about the writing on our bathroom wall. I learned how our street was named. It is through this research that I found that one of my Wildasin ancestors married a Mummert! Catherine Elizabeth Wildasin married a Peter B. Mummert. My curiosity continued to haunt me and the 'rabbit hole' just got deeper.

Peter's grandfather William Mummert served in the Revolutionary War and, because of the marriage between Peter and Catherine, I may have discovered another family-related Patriot. This is not earth shattering news, but an example of how our ancestors' lives intertwined, hence Twisted Roots and following the 'rabbit hole' trail.

The Colonel Richard Mc Calister Chapter I am waiting to join is an amazing group of women with like minds to continue the D.A.R.'s mission-Historic Preservation, Education, and Patriotism-of those ancestors who contributed in some capacity to serve during the American Revolution.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts here.