The software I use for storing my genealogy files comes with a really cool add-on program for creating professional looking DVDs and CDs. In my pre-Christmas haste, I created a disc to share with family, and which I failed to use as I intended.
Today, I opened my genealogy program to continue adding more data to my database. I couldn't find the family file that I was working on! Talk about heart failure. I had a sickening feeling that I would be re-entering a huge portion of the 21,500+ names and dates. That calculates to many, many hours of typing, which I wasn't looking forward to doing.
After some reading and praying, I took a gamble, followed the software restore feature, said a silent prayer, and hit, go. I am back in business.
If that had not worked, my New Year would not be off to a good start. Next time I tinker around with the DVD feature, I plan to back up to yet a third source, then hit Go!